Sixth International Conference Numerical Methods and Applications
August 20-24, 2006
The sixth International Conference on Numerical Methods and Applications - NMA'06 held in Borovets in the period August 20 - 24, 2006. The proceedings will be published as a special volume of Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
Objectives and major achievements during the reporting period
The conferences on Numerical Methods and Applications are well known traditional scientific forums for leading academic and industrial researchers, providing them opportunities for active exchange of recent ideas and establishing further professional cooperation.
WP5 – Dissemination
Sixth International Conference on Numerical Methods and Applications (NMA'06)
NMA'06 was the 6th event of an internationally recognized series and the third of the nine high-quality international events in the BIS-21++ plan. Traditionally, the purpose of the conference is to bring together scientists in the field of numerical methods and their applications in mathematical modeling. The key lectures reviewed some of the most advanced achievements in the area. NMA'06 was held in Borovets, Bulgaria, in the period August 20-25, 2006. These conferences are traditionally organized in a close cooperation between the Institute for Parallel Processing (IPP-BAS) and the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, both from the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, and the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, St. "Kliment Ohridski" University of Sofia (the main organizer of the last meeting).
IPP-BAS had a leading contribution to the organization in NMA'06, clearly visible from the activities listed below:
- 6 members of the Scientific Committee;
- 2 members of the Organizing Committee;
- (co)organization of 4 of the Special Sessions;
- 18 participants, including 4 BIS-21++ Ph.D. students, and 3 long stay BIS-21++ visitors from foreign partner institutions;
Following the tradition, the participation of young scientists was strongly encouraged by the organizing committee. As a result, the list of participants of NMA'06 includes more than 20 Ph.D. students.
The Scientific Committee (43 members from 14 countries) have a valuable contribution to forming the scientific face of the conference. The tutorial value of the meeting was ensured by the plenary lectures given by the invited world known distinguished lecturers.
- R. Herbin, Univeritte de Provence, Marceille, France, On the Discretization of the Coupled Heat and Electrical Diffusion Problems
- J Pas.ciak, Texas A&M University, College Station, US, Analysis of a Finite PML Approximation for the Three Dimensional Time-Harmonic Maxwell and Acoustic Scattering Problems
- R. Lazarov, Texas A&M University, College Station, US, Discontinuous Galerkin FEM for Second Order Elliptic Problems and Their Preconditioning
- S. Margenov, Institue for Parallel Processing, BAS, Sofia, Bulgaria, Robust Multilevel Preconditioning Methods
- D. Braess, Ruhr University of Bochum, Germany, A Posteriori Error Estimates without Generic Constants
- G. Milovanovic, University of Nis, Serbia, Quadrature for Muntz Systems
- P. Vabishchevich, Institute for Mathematical Modeling, RAS, Moscow, Russia, The Vector Analysis Grid Operators for Applied Problems
- Z. Zlatev, National Environmental Research Institute, Roskilde, Denmark, On Some Computational Aspects of the Variational Data Assimilation Techniques
Special Sessions and Organisers:
- Numerical Methods for Hyperbolic Problems
Organizer: Bojan Popov
- Robust Preconditioning Solution Methods
Organizers: Radim Blaheta (CR), Johannes Kraus (AT) and Svetozar Margenov (BG)
- Monte Carlo and Quasi-Monte Carlo for Diverse Applications
Organizers: Aneta Karaivanova (BG) and Todor Gurov (BG)
- Metaheuristics for Optimization Problems
Organizers: Stefka Fidanova (BG) and Enrique Alba (ES)
- Uncertain/Control Systems and Reliable Numerics
Organizers: Rene Alt (FR) and Svetoslav Markov (BG)
- Interpolation and Quadrature Processes
Organizer : Gradimir Milovanovic (SB)
- Large-Scale Computations in Environmental Modelling
Organizers: Per Grove Thomsen (DK), Krasimir Georgiev (BG) and Zahari Zlatev (DK)
Proceedings of Abstracts
The conference proceedings will be published as a special volume of Springer Lecture
Summary (explanatory notes)NMA'06 was the 6th event of an internationally recognized series. The purpose of the conference is to bring together scientists working in the fields of numerical methods, the algorithms for their efficient implementation as well as in the related industrial applications. The key lectures reviewed some of the most advanced achievements in the area. NMA'06 was held in Borovets, Bulgaria, during the period August 20-24, 2006. More than 120 participants from 26 different countries and 5 continents took part in the meeting. The list of participants includes more than 20 Ph.D. students, several of them, being enrolled in WP2 of the project and others – participating in joint research with IPP-BAS as long-term visitors. The tutorial value of the meeting was ensured by the plenary lectures given by the invited world known distinguished lecturers. The conference proceedings will be published as a special volume of Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
For more information: Sixth International Conference on Numerical Methods and Applications - NM&A'06